CHINESE PROGRESSIVE ASSOCIATION
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 2, 2011
- Alex Tom, 510-449-1172 (Chinese)
- Emily Lee, 415-626-3382 (English)
San Francisco Will Join National Protests Calling for Wall Street Tax During G20 Nations Conference in France
On Thursday, November 3rd, the Chinese Progressive Association will participate in a national day of action with nurses, students, community groups, and the Occupy SF movement to call for a Wall Street Financial Transaction Tax (FTT). Actions will occur in San Francisco and Washington DC, as leaders of the G-20 nations meet in France to decide global economic policies that will impact our communities. As the richest 1% and corporations continue to reap the benefits of an unfair economic system that gives them 43% of our nation’s wealth, the 99% are demanding that Wall Street pay its fair share. A Wall Street Financial Transaction Tax (FTT) can raise up to $350 billion per year in the U.S. to provide living wage jobs, guaranteed healthcare, a secure retirement for all, quality public education, good housing and protection from hunger.
While the 1% on Wall Street received $700 billion in bailout money, the rest of us (the 99%) struggle with unemployment, choosing between healthcare and college tuition, and loss of public services from budget cuts. It’s time for Wall Street to pay their fair share in rebuilding the economy they destroyed—a tax of 0.5% on Wall Street trading transactions like stocks, bonds, foreign currency bets and derivatives could revitalize our economy and begin addressing the problem of wealth inequality.
WHAT: Members of the Chinese Progressive Association will march together with nurses, community organizations, and Occupy SF protesters from the Federal Reserve to Wells Fargo Corporate Headquarters.
WHEN: Thursday, November 3rd, from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM. (Program at Wells Fargo at 12:00 PM.)
WHERE: Begin at 101 Market St. (Federal Reserve) and march to Wells Fargo Corporate Headquarters at California St. & Kearny St.
VISUALS: Chinese community members will have bilingual posters about why they are part of the 99% (我們是99％) in Chinese and English. Photos available upon request.
Interviews in Chinese and English will be available.