updated November 2017
Senior Community Organizer
Founded in 1972, the Chinese Progressive Association (CPA) is a grassroots membership-based organization that empowers the Chinese community in San Francisco and promotes justice and equality for all people. CPA’s campaigns and programs improve the living and working conditions of working class immigrants and give ordinary community members a stronger voice in the decision-making processes that affect them. Our core strategies are organizing, leadership development and alliance building.
The Senior Community Organizer leads our Tenant and Worker Center (TWC)’s membership and base-building, leadership development, strategic services for tenants rights, This position is supervised by the Organizing Director and will be responsible for supervising two Community Organizers.
Key Leadership Roles and Responsibilities:
1. Lead the Tenant and Worker Center’s base-building and leadership development programs, including:
- Develop and implement systematic base-building and membership tracking program
- Develop and implement program for leadership recruitment and development including leadership meetings and political education
- Supervise Community Organizer to grow base-building and leadership program
2. Lead TWC Campaign Strategy and Implementation:
- Develop and implement strategic direction of campaign and program work in partnership with Organizing Director and Lead Organizer for Civic Engagement
- Lead outreach, member participation and mobilization strategy for campaigns
- Coordinate TWC civic engagement work with Lead Organizer for Civic Engagement
- Lead coordination of TWC program work with Youth MoJo and other youth programs
3. Lead CPA’s SRO/Tenant Rights Organizing, Services and Alliance-Building
- Lead CPA Tenant Rights Services and Organizing work
- Supervise and support organizer(s) to develop and implement tenant organizing plan
- Represent CPA and advance our campaign strategy in collaborative / alliance meetings
Additional Responsibilities and Shared Responsibilities:
- Actively participate in CPA organizational campaigns, activities, and strategy discussions
- Conduct program evaluations and work planning with members
- Regularly document activities and maintain a database of members
- Prepare reports of activities for organizational and fund development needs
- Participate and/or facilitate workshops or trainings at conferences
- Support other CPA campaigns, programs and organization-wide activities as needed
- Participation in organizational-wide (such as electoral campaigns) and fundraising tasks as determined by organizational priorities and your supervisor.
- Commitment to social, economic and environmental justice, and bottom-up social change
- Knowledge of issues impacting low-income Chinese immigrants in San Francisco
- 3-5 Years Grassroots or Labor Organizing Experience
- Experience in supervision and mentoring
- Bilingual in Cantonese and English strongly preferred
- Experience in popular education and developing working-class immigrant leadership
- Experience Leading Campaigns preferred
- Ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds
- Good team player and problem-solver
- Takes responsibility and initiative in work
- Can work effectively independently and as part of a team
- Strong organizational and communication skills
Salary and Benefits: $50,000 – $55,000 DOE, with medical and dental benefits, plus paid vacation, sick time and holidays.
To Apply: Submit resume, cover letter and writing sample (combined in one PDF), and submit three references here. Open until filled.
Chinese Progressive Association is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, immigrants, youths, and LGBT and differently-abled people are encouraged to apply!